Jason and Anne Klaske will give each student a basic knowledge on beekeeping. This beginner class is perfect for the backyard beekeeper who wants to maintain a hive for pollination for their vegetables and flowers, to gather the honey for personal consumption, and the basics of information for beekeeping.
-Equipment to buy to start a hive
-How to get a colony of bees and which ones to choose for your area/climate
– How to set up your hives and understand their construction
– The basics on feeding your hive when there is no pollen available (early spring)
– How to introduce your queen to a new hive
– What to do in case your hive ‘swarms’
– The best methods for working in the hive (including equipment to wear)
– A basic look into understanding the hive and the ‘language’ of the bees
– How to harvest your honey and the proper bottles/containers for storage
A few recipes to enjoy your newly harvested fresh honey!